- To establish teaching and research departments in the frontier areas of humanities,science and technology.
- To institute specialised Research Centres of Excellence.
- To design courses and to train teachers to improve academic excellence.
- To enhance academic – industry interaction to make the students employable.
- To involve in extension and outreach programmes to achieve the goal of eradicating illiteracy among the people of the jurisdictional area of the University.
- To evolve Periyar University as a globally known academic and research institution.
- To inculcate values, ethics, scientific temper and environmental awareness.
The Government of Tamil Nadu established the Periyar University at Salem on 17th September 1997 as per the provisions of the Periyar University Act, 1997. The University covers the area comprising the districts of Salem, Namakkal, Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri. The University got the 12(B) and 2f status from the University Grants Commission and has been reaccredited by NAAC with ‘A’ grade in 2015. The University is named after the Great Social Reformer E.V.Ramasamy affectionally called ‘Thanthai Periyar’. The University aims at developing knowledge in various fields to realize the maxim inscribed in the logo “Arival Vilayum Ulagu” (Wisdom Maketh World).”Holistic development of the students” is the primary objective of the esteemed Periyar University. The University is located on the National Highway (NH7) towards Bangalore at about 8 Kms from New Bus Stand, Salem. It is well connected by frequent city bus services linking Salem and other places like, Omalur, Dharmapuri, Krishnagiri and Mettur.
Periyar University imparts higher education at three levels, i.e., through its Departments of Study and Research, Periyar Institute of Distance Education (PRIDE) and the affiliated colleges. The University has twenty five departments of study offering Post Graduate & Research Programmes and eighty one affiliated colleges, five Constituent Colleges and one PG Extension Centres . The Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) has been introduced for the various courses offered by the University from 2008-09 onwards. Periyar University is offering four Certificate Courses from 2009-2010 onwards. The Certificate Courses are designed in order to cater to the current needs of the public. The Student Support Services of Periyar University are available through Library system, National Service Scheme, Youth Red Cross Society, Women’s Welfare Centre and avenues for Sports and Games. The University has established the following Constituent Colleges (1) Periyar University Arts and Science College (PRUCAS) in 2006 at Mettur Dam, Salem District (2) Periyar University Arts and Science College in 2010 at Pennagaram, Dharmapuri District. Thanthai Periyar had been advocating throughout his life the importance of being rational and created a stir by his self respect movement. He incessantly toiled for social justice among people, fought to liberate the down trodden women and insisted on the priority of one’s mother tongue. The Periyar Chair was created in 1998 to inculcate these ideas in the minds of students.
Also Available At